Thursday, June 17, 2004

To a recovering cancer patient

Dear Friend:

I want to tell you the story of a decision I made soon after I had sixteen hours of surgery on a brain tumor in 1990.

My recovery from this 'medical intervention' was long. It involved three days in the intensive-care unit, followed by another week on the hospital ward. The worst that I recall about the medical interventions on the ward was the being stuck three or four times a day for 'blood work'. It seemed like the gratuitous blood letting would never end!

Once I got home the real recovery took more than a year and I remember that my life seemed to revolve around visits to one or another doctor's office. It took a long time to really feel that I had my life again and that I wasn't a perpetual 'patient'. I guess that is where the word 'patient' comes from -- the waiting.

Overall, I was very aware that my body and mind had to some extent been traumatized by the experience of intense medical intervention --- interventions that I don't regret, because they no doubt saved my life.

The decision I made, which I am very happy about, was to take action to reclaim my sense of myself in my body, and to strengthen my body. Basically, I decided to increase my physical training by running 50% more than had been my prior routine and taking myself to the gym once a week to work out on the weight machines, a first for me. It was hard at first, but I had a sense I really needed to do this so that I could feel strong again and not dwell on the feelings of being a victim of physical assault. I kept at it.

I am happy to report that it has worked. I am now thirteen years into the training program and I definitely feel stronger and more grounded in my body than I ever have -- even though I am thirteen years older and 'getting on', as they say. Not only did I physically survive the medical trauma, but I have psychologically survived and thrived, in part, I believe, because I have the daily support of my body.

Wishing you well,

Yours,

Charles

No comments: